Termites are a year-round threat for homeowners here in Southern California. There is a common misconception that only people with wood homes need to worry about termites, but that is unfortunately not the case. Termites are attracted to a number of factors that can lead to an infestation on your property, no matter whether you live in a wood or brick home. To avoid dealing with a termite problem, it’s important to learn what may be drawing termites to your home in the first place.
The experts at Access Exterminator Service are here to help. Read on to learn all you need to know about what makes your home attractive to termites.
6 Things That Are Attractive to Termites
No matter what type of home you have, the following may make your home more attractive to termites.
- Cellulose. Termites may be infamous for infesting wood, but they’re actually after the cellulose contained within! This cellulose is the main component that can be found in wallpaper, plants, mulch, drywall, and more.
- Moisture. Leaky pipes, broken sprinklers, or clogged gutters can all lead to moisture problems in your home. In turn, this could attract subterranean termites (not to mention hoards of other pests) inside.
- Access to the soil. Subterranean termites need contact with soil to live. Any wood items, whether it’s your home, porch, or firewood in the yard, in contact with soil is at risk for a termite problem.
- Warmth. Termite problems are generally more common in warmer, humid parts of the world. This puts our Southern state at a higher risk of termite activity year-round.
- Decaying wood. If you have logs, trees, or stumps that are rotten or in decay, you can be sure termites will seek them out.
- Landscape. Termites can infest mulch, making it important to keep it away from the perimeter of your home. Also, trim back tree branches that may be too close to your property.
Protect Your Orange County Home From Termites
Wondering if your home is attractive to termites or not? It’s best to team up with your local termite control experts at Access. Our team can inspect your property to pinpoint any vulnerabilities that could lead to an infestation. Contact us today to get started!
What Makes My Home Attractive to Termites? in Orange CA
Serving Orange and Los Angeles CA since 1998